Thursday, October 12, 2006

Announcements for those in the New York area

Next Friday, October 20th at 2pm, Prof. David Kazanjian of the University of Pennsylvania will be giving a talk entitled "'When they come here they feal so free': Liberia and the Equivocal Freedom of Return" at the City University of New York Graduate Center. This event will be held in the Eighteenth-Century Reading Room, where I work, which is C196.05 on the lower level of the Mina Rees Library. To reserve a seat (and refreshments!), please email me at carrieshanafelt@gmail.com.

For those teaching in the CUNY system, please encourage your undergraduate and masters students to enter the Eighteenth-Century Reading Room Essay Competition. Three prizes are awarded in amounts of $500, $300, and $200. We encourage students of all disciplines to enter. The full entry requirements are here.

Lastly, I'd like to bring your attention to the presence of my name on this year's MLA ballot. I am #109, running for a New York State regional delegate position, and I humbly request the favor of your vote. The information about all candidates is at the MLA website here, but you must be logged in to view it.

Please contact me if you're curious about any of these matters.